Often when I need cards, I find myself making them from paper and scraps of supplies I have around my office instead of purchasing them but for some reason I usually purchase envelopes for these cards. I have plenty of paper that usually gets put in the recycled bin, why am I buying more paper in the form of an envelope? So I worked up a template to make easy envelopes from a standard size piece of paper, therefore envelopes can me made from most magazines that would usually be placed in the recycling bin.
This template will make an A2 (4-3/8" x 5-3/4") envelope but keep in mind that you are hand making it and the dimensions might be slightly off.
What you will need:
2-3 pieces of magazine or newspaper approx. 8.5” x 11”
Scissors or and Exacto knife
Printer (to print templates)
Bonefolder or butter knife
- Download Envelopetemplate.jpg and print it out full size (a scale has been placed on each jpg to help with printing at the correct proportions).
- Cut out the template for Envelopetemplate.jpg and trace the outside envelope on a piece of paper and cut out the envelope.
- Repeat step 2 using Envelopetemplate.jpg but cutting out the greyed “Inside Flap Decoration” area. This piece will be added to the inside flap of the envelope to give it some pizzazz.
- Glue the inside flap piece to the larger envelope, placing it centered in the flap and body area (look at the original template to see approx. placement).
- Lightly mark fold lines with a pencil and using a bonefolder or the wrong side of a butter knife, score the FOLD lines.* Fold the envelope.
* Scoring a piece adds a notch to the paper that makes it easier to fold. Place the ruler on the fold line and take the bonefolder and run it along the length of the fold. If you do not have a bone folder you can use the back side (the un-serrated edge) of a butter knife. Do not press too hard, you do not want to rip or tear the paper.
- Using Envelopetemplate.jpg as a guide, glue the flaps on the back of the envelope.
THE FOLLOWING STEPS ARE OPTIONAL FOR DECORATION PURPOSES
- Choose one of the following templates and print it out at full size, Envelopetemplate_2.jpg or Envelopetemplate_3.jpg.
- Cut out the template and trace the outside of the ornaments on a piece of paper. Cut out the pieces.
- Each ornament template has 2 sizes to choose from. You can use one or the other, or you can place the smaller size on top of the larger one for a more ornate look. Glue the adornment to the envelope.