If you wonder why the rum is gone and think a pirate’s life is for you feel free to follow these steps to turn a round, black felt hat in to a swashbuckling fashion accessory.
What you will need:
Black round rim hat, rim should be at least 4” wide or a Felt hat blank
Metal straight pins
Black embroidery thread and needle
Embellishments to taste, I used venice lace and ribbon (you will have to measure the brim edge or other areas of your hat to get a yardage for purchasing)
Ostrich Plumes (the more the merrier, I suggest buying them at The Feather Store)
Hot glue and gun
* Tip: my black hat was originally a seven dollar clearance sun hat so keep you eye out for large brimmed cheap hats to turn into the perfect pirate hat!
- Glue trim to the base of the hat.
- Pin three sides or the brim to the round hat section creating an overall triangle when you view the hat from above
- Sew the three folded brims to the body of the hat using about half inch “X” stitches.
- Hot glue lace or trim to the edging of the brim
- Trim feathers and glue them in the fold of one side of the hat to finish it off
- Put on your new creation, batten down the hatches and sing a chanty, you are now a pirate!