A month or so ago I posted a coffee filter flower pin and mentioned I would post the directions. Well after several tries I think I have come up with some easy instructions and here they are....
Tools & Materials
- Nine fluted coffee filters, used, with grounds discarded
- Decorative scrapbooking scissors, with scalloped edge
- Sewing needle and cream-colored thread
- One large button
- Hot glue gun
- Square of felt (enough to make a circle, 3” in diameter)
- Jewelry pin of your choice
- After brewing a pot of coffee, remove the filter and gently clean away coffee grounds.* Lay filter on a flat surface to dry. Repeat until recommended quantity is achieved.
- Fold filters in half. On five of the filters, mark a spot 2.75” from the center of folded edge of the filter using a ruler. On the remaining four filters, mark a spot 2” from the center folded edge.
- Using the scalloped scissors, cut the folded filters into semicircles, using the marks as a guide. Leave the filters folded (fig. 3).
- Along the folded edge of each of the larger (2.75”) cut filters, use a gathering stitch to string all four into a long line (figs. 4a and 4b).
- Pull the string, scrunching the filters into petals. (see fig. 5a) Bring the string full circle, stitching both ends together and tie off. Repeat using the remaining five 2” semicircles fig 5b).
- Cut a piece of felt into a circle, 3” in diameter and attach pin to felt with hot glue.
- Use the hot glue gun to adhere the felt to the back of the larger ring of petals (fig. 7).
- Take the smaller petal ring and carefully glue it to the top of the larger flower base (fig. 8).
- Glue a large button to the center to finish (fig. 9).